The Incident Command System (ICS) is a proven management system used by emergency managers. Applying ICS during a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) activation will help maintain the safety of disaster workers, provide clear leadership and organizational structure, and improve the effectiveness of rescue efforts. This course will cover the principles of ICS and help learners understand how to effectively apply the principles through interactive real-life scenarios.
- List the principles of ICS.
- Identify components of ICS.
- Identify CERT general operations within the ICS level.
- Determine how to integrate CERT programs into the response framework for an area.
- Identify volunteer motivations.
- List (at least) three (3) ways to utilize volunteers effectively.
- Describe special considerations for managing/directing volunteers.
- Define VOADs and their application.
- Identify means of interacting with VOADs.
- Identify means to effectively integrate spontaneous volunteers.
- Describe effective communication skills and techniques for CERT/ICS communications.
- Identify how to best communicate with the public, media, and responders/emergency management.