The Public Information Officer Awareness Course (IS0029) is designed to familiarize participants with the concepts underlying the PIO role. This course can provide a basic understanding of the PIO function for those new to the position. Additionally, it can provide those in executive-level roles the necessary knowledge of PIO roles and responsibilities during an emergency.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define emergency public information and the importance of being proactive. (Unit 1)
- Describe the role and functions of the PIO. (Unit 2)
- Describe the types of written products used in public information activities. (Unit 3)
- Recall preparation techniques that contribute to a successful media interview. (Unit 3)
- List the steps of the 8-Step Model for Strategic Communications. (Unit 4)
- Given a scenario, apply the 8-Step Model to a public awareness campaign. (Unit 4)
- Apply public information techniques to a 5% scenario. (Unit 5)
This course is designed for the new or less experienced state, local, tribal and territorial PIOs or those who have this role as a secondary function.
The participant will benefit from participating in the entry-level incident command system training prior to taking this course.