The goal of this course is to strengthen the abilities to prepare for and manage volunteers before, during, and after a severe emergency or major disaster. This course will:
Provide strategies for identifying, recruiting, assigning, training, supervising, and motivating volunteers.
Include a discussion of spontaneous volunteers as well as those affiliated with community-based, faith-based, and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs).
At the completion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Identify situations in which volunteers can be a useful addition to response and recovery operations.
- Define skill and knowledge requirements for volunteers.
- Develop a volunteer program that includes strategies for recruiting and managing volunteers within the whole community.
- Develop a plan for setting up a Volunteer Reception Center.
- Identify special issues involving the use of volunteers.
This course is for emergency managers and related professionals working with all types of volunteers and coordinating with voluntary agencies.